Thursday, January 21, 2010



Q. Why do fish live in salt water?
A. Because pepper makes them sneeze!


Another nice day in Room 240 – here’s the scoop…

After Independent Literacy Time and Morning Meeting, we had Reader’s Workshop. The kids got a chance to practice reading their bookbag books, and then got to do buddy reading with a friend – they did really well. After that, each wrote a response to the text – my challenge to them was to try to write a different type of response than they had previously.

After reading, it was on to Writer’s Workshop. Today we reviewed all of the ways that writers make their writing easy for their readers, and then went to work polishing stories. We were so hard at work on the stories that we ended up not having time to share our work. Luckily we could postpone that until after gym – many of the kids were bursting at the seams to share their hard work.

When we finished writing, we were off to lunch and recess, and then back up to the room for Read Aloud – today it was Bear Feels Scared (a really nice rhyming book – one of a series about the same bear and his little friends). Then it was down to the gym for class with Mr. Hill and Mr. Peterson – SLEDDING! Of course, I had to go out and join them (no wonder I love my job – I can brag to all of my friends that I “had” to go sledding as a part of my workday!). Here are some photos and a video that I took – the video I shot as I was sledding down the hill, so it’s got interesting cinematography…







After gym, we came back up to our room and had a writing share – the kids that wanted to used the chair in the front of the room and the microphone to read their stories to the class. They were very enjoyable!

After that, we had a small birthday celebration for Mykal – he was nice enough to bring us treats, so we were all very happy to share them with him. Then we got to watch a slideshow of the photos from the sledding trip, as well as a couple of videos of the kids on the hill. After we cleaned up the room, we had Thursday Fun, in lieu of Friday Fun (remember – no school tomorrow).

After all of that, it was time to pack up and head home!